nanog mailing list archives

RE: The Backhoe Summit

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 24 Sep 2000 00:23:08 -0700

On Sat, 23 September 2000, John Fraizer wrote:
On 23 Sep 2000, Sean Donelan wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 rdobbins () netmore net wrote:
Do the large carriers now participate in 'one-call' operations like power
and gas companies do?  At least in Virginia a couple of years ago, they
didn't.  It might be a good idea for them to do so.

  "For competitive reasons we can't tell you the location of our fiber."

- An anonymous representative of a very large telco

Wow.  They must not have any fiber near our facility.  The folks running
the digging operations are keeping Plastikote in business selling orange
paint.  There seems to be more orange than black on the blacktop -- all of
it marked pretty clearly with the carrier name.

Ask them for a map.

Yeah, I know a lot of folks have resorted to calling OneCall, getting the
street painted orange, and making their own maps.