nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Backhoe Summit

From: David Lesher <wb8foz () nrk com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 07:16:10 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded message:

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of these problems could be
avoided with a bit of enforced cooperation.  Recent ordinances require
competing cell providers to licence or share existing towers before
new tower permits are allowed.  We don't allow multiple rows of
telephone poles in the same easement.  Why do we allow unconstrained
underground work?  The rampant "competition" just isn't tenable.

WSimpson () UMich edu

This has been very visible in DC; the PhiberPholks have had every
ingress route torn up multiple times, making our (already 2nd
worst in US) traffic far less tolerable.

Mayor saw the issue on his radar, declared a moritorium and made
lots of noises about requiring cooperation al-la Richmond.

If such is now happening; I've not seen mention of it. The
carriers all claimed they could not tell their competition where
they were headed for, and I suspect no one will willing to buy
space in advance they'd not want for 6+ months.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz () nrk com