nanog mailing list archives

RE: LoadBalancing products: Foundry ServerIron

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:21:20 -0700

Yeah, so why bother? As long as load balancers don't have GigE
ports, I can't use them and have to use something like Resonate.
Besides, LBs don't do site-site load balancing. If you want to do
distributed load sharing then there really isn't much choice.
Personally, I don't see benefits of LBs that proper clustering
wont give you. Component clusters work well, much better than
simple LB will give you.

From: tony bourke: Friday, July 07, 2000 8:01 AM

you can do EtherChannel for more than 100 Mbps, but we all
know how well
that works.

Tony

On Fri, 7 Jul
2000, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

The last time I looked at one, I couldn't get it in
GigE...100baseTX only. Ergo, I couldn't run it on my
backbone.

Sutantyo, Danny: Thursday, July 06, 2000 8:37 AM

How about Local Director?

From:     Richard Colella:        Thursday, July 06, 2000 5:38 AM

Products are also available from Alteon, Cisco (Distributed
Director) and Resonate.  Last time I looked, none of these
products does everything one wants, IMHO, but the set union
of features comes pretty close.