nanog mailing list archives

Re: Port scanning legal

From: Marius Strom <marius () marius org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:49:33 -0600

*frantically rewrites AUP's to read as follows:*

5.17 While we provide network connectivity, you must verify the host you
are connecting to by using whois(1) to make sure it's not a military or
government site.  Use information from the whois(1) records to contact
by phone the sites in question.  Make sure to contact ARIN/RIPE/APNIC
before querying their whois servers.  Contact us before querying our DNS
servers for ARIN/RIPE/APNIC hostname information.

Not to step in the middle of a firefight without a waterhouse, but come
on guys, this is getting absurd.