nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN whois

From: woods () most weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:36:37 -0500 (EST)

[ On Tuesday, November 23, 1999 at 11:56:56 (-0500), Dean Anderson wrote: ]
Subject: Re: ARIN whois

There you go posting private e-mail to the list again.  Please don't do
that!  If you can't figure out how to run you're mailer properly then
perhaps you shouldn't be using it.  (Maybe I should have guessed at your
mailer skills when I saw how your text wasn't nicely formatted....)

I'm all for working with the community. Each time I have, it has
turned out that we need to operate relays.

That's a pretty damn poor service you're "offering" to the community
then.  Dis-service, more like....

As someone else has already tried to explain, mail relays never have to
be "open relays".

Possibly, SMTP AUTH will make unauthenticated relaying
unnecessary. I'm still looking into how widely deployed it is on email
clients.

Possibly -- if *you* can figure out how to do it!

Its the foolish people who ASSUME that all of the internet is composed
of cable modems and the company email server, and the internal company
modem bank, all behind a firewall and a VPN who think we don't need to
operate relays.

Try to take relaying out of sendmail, and see what happens.

Been there -- done that (well, with smail, not sendmail, but what the
heck) -- on to more interesting challenges.

I'm just foolish enough to tell the junior antispammer league that
relaying has a legitimate purpose, and can't be removed.  Most other
people aren't willing to waste the time with them.  I was also foolish
enough to think they could think something through without resorting
to abusing our servers, and making posts to alt.2600.  Yep. I know
when I did something wrong.

Given your propensity for claiming you're going to make a profit from
prosecuting the so-called "offenders", perhaps we should surmise that
your true "legitimate business purpose" is to do just that.

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>