nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC Ruling, Cost of Internet

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () nacs net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 22:12:57 -0500

On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 08:39:52PM -0600, MacFarland, Chris wrote:
Steven-

The reason for this is regarding settlement charges ( reciprocal
compensation ) for intrastate calls from ILEC to CLEC.
If the FCC rules that calls to ISP's are interstate then the settlement
model dramatically changes for the LEC terminating
the call.  This would have a significant impact on revenues for CLEC's that
use recip comp as part of their core business model.

I still see no merit in a phone company charging interstate fees for a call
which does not geographically cross state lines, whether it's the phone
company charging the end-user (as in the discussion from a month or two
ago) or charging a CLEC to recover their costs.

And unless someone provides me with a convincing argument, I will continue
to see no merit in such fees.

I don't really see how a ruling such as the one we're discussing will benefit
anyone but the ILEC's.

Someone else mentioned lobbyists. Considering the FCC's recent actions
regarding both telcos and radio/TV holding companies, I have to assume
that the FCC is acting in the interest of those who are bribing them.

Um.... I meant "lobbying them." Sorry. Freudian slip. :)

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol () nacs net]
Part-time Support Droid [support () nacs net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."