nanog mailing list archives

Re: time for a new list?

From: Phil Howard <phil () whistler intur net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 21:02:35 -0600 (CST)

I think moderating the group might not be such a bad idea.  The only
problem with this would be getting someone who had enough time to actually
moderate the list.  I don't know what is going on lately, but it seems
egos and animosity are running rampant on both inet-access and nanog.  I
have been caught up in it myself, and for that I apologize.

There is some value to NANOG ... value that is currently lost ... for things
like semi-urgent notifications of what is going on.  Yet for many issues
there is a lot that people here want to talk about, sometime with each other,
sometimes just _at_ each other, yet talk they must.  I would not want to bog
NANOG down with a moderator (or is that bog a moderator down with NANOG?).
My suggestion would be to have a forum, or maybe an alternate mailing list,
called "NANOG-BOF" (alias "NANOG-BOG") where one "side issues" can be
discussed.  Then it would be easy to just take dragging issues to there.

If it were a web forum I would participate.  If it were a mailing list I
would not.  I prefer to keep my mailbox lean for important stuff.

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --