nanog mailing list archives

Re: MAE-Central

From: Dave Siegel <dave () rtd net>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:19:10 -0700 (MST)

Sorry, but I can't find a Worldcom press release anywhere. I don't feel
right cutting and pasting the entire article, but the location is slated to
be Dallas.

(BTW, isn't it scandalous that MFS would copy the PacBell NAP and build a
MAE using S'com BPX switches? I went back and checked the nanog archives
and compiled a list of all the ISPs that swore they would never connect to
an ATM NAP. How many are planning to disconnect from the MAEs when the ATM
switches come up?)

Yes and no. Sure a lot of people that said they would not connect to a ATM
NAP, but things do change. The current FDDI NAPs are just not able to
support the current load and their is no good way to expand them. ATM has
changed a lot in the last 4 years. ATM switched have come a long way, sure
they are still not where I would like to see them, but they are getting
there. I don't think it matters anyone, the whole public NAP idea (I
think was a good idea) is dead.

I don't think the point is really worth arguing.  It's not the fact that
they chose a particular technology.

I think it was particularly nice that they asked their potential
customers what they should deploy.

Who knows...maybe the did ask, but I don't think they asked the right
people.

Dave (who's waiting to see a NAP built with a GSR (or similar) )

--
Dave Siegel                             dave () rtd net
Network Engineer                        dave () pager rtd com (alpha pager)