nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBN Peering issues

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () ibm net il>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:34:14 +0200

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
What I would like more than anything right now is some official word from
high-up's at BBN regarding what this policy entails exactly, and what
their rationale is behind it.

Based on just that little slice of the conversation, is BBN doing what
UUnet apparently failed in _it's_ attempt to do last fall, to Jack
Rickard's (and my) vast amusement?

Now it all fits in to something I didn't quite understand 2 weeks ago.  I
consult for a university network planning the purchase of a  T3 to the
Chicago NAP for access to StarTap and Internet-2.  Part of the cost
planning is finding Internet-1 access via an ATM VC of 8Mb.  I sent around
to a number of major ISPs at the Chicago NAP asking to *pay* for full
peering at the Chicago NAP via an 8Mb VC.  A number of them came back with
good answers.  But BBN's sales droids indicated very clearly that they
will not peer with me unless I purchase the line into the NAP from them:

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:34:33 -0500

We will allow the peering if you get the lines from us. So if you order the
T3 through GTE Internetworking, you can peer with us at a NAP.  Where are
you getting the T3 from now?