nanog mailing list archives

Re: T3 or not to T3

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet () hotwired com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 17:31:07 -0700

In message <199607220013.TAA27391 () academ com>, Stan Barber writes:
From stuff I've seen here and elsewhere I think the most important reason
for this is congestion at NAPs making it impossible to suck (or shove)
lots of bandwidth at anything but your provider's backbone.

In using "NAPs" above, are you just talking about the NSF NAPs or all
interconnections?

I'm not clear on the distinction -- but since the first location we
want to do this would be based in San Francisco, I'm referring mostly to
mae-west, the pacbell nap, and CIX.  It should be relatively inexpensive
to long-haul a few T1s further away from the California NAPs.  (and it
would be relatively expensive to move the machines... because of the
people involved in maintaining them.  Which is a pain, 'cause doing
high-availability stuff in an earthquake zone seems silly.)

Generally for each connection to each provider, you would have to set up
BGP.

Yeah, definately.  But most backbones seem to have "customer routes" as
an option, and if I trust them enough to get those routes correct then
I will hopefully not have to bother with extreme amounts of filtering.
It's pretty easy to enforce "no transit" at the packet filtering level
-- only packets destined for my nets will be allowed in.  Is there some
other aspect of filtering I'm forgetting about?  We have a dedicated
and backup network engineer at any rate.  The border router would be a
cisco 7200 or 7500 series with 128Mb.

Dean