nanog mailing list archives

Re: T3 or not to T3

From: Jim Van Baalen <vansax () atmnet net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 09:35:47 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, definately.  But most backbones seem to have "customer routes" as
an option, and if I trust them enough to get those routes correct then
I will hopefully not have to bother with extreme amounts of filtering.
It's pretty easy to enforce "no transit" at the packet filtering level
-- only packets destined for my nets will be allowed in.  Is there some
other aspect of filtering I'm forgetting about?  We have a dedicated
and backup network engineer at any rate.  The border router would be a
cisco 7200 or 7500 series with 128Mb.

Dean

Is this really how people enforce "no transit"? I have been told that packet
filtering is quite cpu expensive. I would think that packet filtering on a
router that is probably already overburdened is not an attractive solution.

Jim