Metasploit mailing list archives

Pen-Testing and Metasploit Question

From: kbeaver at principlelogic.com (Kevin Beaver)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:56:36 -0400

Spend an hour or two at your local bookstore or library one day and
check out my book Hacking For Dummies. I talk about the overall ethical
hacking (a.k.a. pentesting) methodology including using Metasploit. More
ahead hopefully later this year in the forthcoming 3rd edition.

Also check out what I've written in my blog and recorded in my audio
programs about security careers at http://securityonwheels.com. I also
have links to articles on security careers, testing, tools, etc. at my
company site: www.principlelogic.com/resources.html

Hope this helps.

Kevin Beaver

pandini pandini wrote:
 I'm in the same boat that professor, trying to get into pentest
industry but I don't know "where to start". I agree with what max
said, imho methodology is the center of the thing, know how and why,
is really better than know "where to click" or what command to run.

 My questions are, "What the industry expect from a pentester" (audit
database, software source code, networks, servers , etc..), "What is
generally done in a basic pentest", and what certifications are "good"
to proof some basic knowledge. Just say to a company that "I'm able to
do a pentest, can you give me a change ?" will don't work.

 I think that I need some formal proof of knowledge, as I haven't any
professinal experience in pentest, this is the only one way that I
see.

 Thanks in advance,
 Pandini.