Metasploit mailing list archives

Pen-Testing and Metasploit Question

From: metafan at intern0t.net (MaXe)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:57:21 +0200

Edward Bjarte Fjellsk?l wrote:
metafan at intern0t.net wrote:

Of course there's much more about this, but to be honest yes you can
use BackTrack, Nessus and Metasploit.

Best Regards,
MaXe

Opensource Nessus ? or closed Nessus ?
Any thoughts on OpenVAS ? (which I use... Nessus fork.. opensource :)
(www.openvas.org)

Hi Edward,

Version 3 or perhaps 4 should be fine, i have read the changelog and
it's not that great a difference from what i read. (they compare to
version 2 mostly..)

OpenVAS.. I think i might have tried it, i have definently heard the
name before but there was just something i didn't like, perhaps it's
detection methods were insufficient compared to Nessus. Of course they
could have improved by now. The only thing i care about is that it's
free and that it's good = works sufficiently so i don't have to run 5
tools that does the same. Anyways just to tell my point of view, yes i
know firing up a vulnerability scanner is usually bad and it will
probably trigger an IDS or two (if there is any!), but when there's
time-limits i would suggest it.

Anyways i could probably write a paper or a book about all my points of
views and that is why i have to narrow down / shorten what i say here on
the mailing list :-) (i don't think anyony would care to listen either xD)