Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Broadband truth in advertising, redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:13:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: February 8, 2010 9:09:15 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Broadband truth in advertising, redux

True.  I would be okay with 'unlimited' translating into 'lots and lots but not abusive in nature'.   To wit, if I have
an 'unlimited' Cricket card and every now and then I use 6 or 10GB but the rest of the time I'm under the 5GB cap, I
would not expect to be charged.  Conversely, if I routinely and regularly use 10GB+ that could be considered abusive.

I am reminded of the early days of cellphone carriers - remember how we used to fawn and fret about "how many minutes"
we used per call? And then recoiling in shock when we saw our bill for "overages" that month? Or how about years ago
when we'd have to watch the clock when dialing long-distance via our home landlines?  I fear we're going back to the
future with the current wireless broadband business model.

-rick