Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Broadband truth in advertising, redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:32:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: February 9, 2010 6:20:11 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Broadband truth in advertising, redux

I'm going to make one more try.   Can any of these experts please *quantify* these enormous costs incurred by
cellphones that happen to be in the vicinity of a cell tower?  What *percentage* of capacity does a non-communicating
cellphone occupy when it is not currently transmitting or receiving?

In my *expert* opinion, these are insignificant, immaterial costs.  And rightly so, since the cellular infrastructure
is engineered to minimize such costs!

This is essentially nonsense.