Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Broadband truth in advertising, redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:03:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Abe Singer <abe () oyvay nu>
Date: February 7, 2010 6:23:35 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Broadband truth in advertising, redux

Dr. Farber,

For IP if you like,

In recard to Rik Forno's posting below:

But *is* it really legal to say 50Gb and deliver less?  Years ago
when I was consulting, one my customers told me of having had leased
two T1 data lines from the local phone company, but after two years
of bad performance, the customer was able to demonstrate that the
telco didn't have the capability of *ever* delivering the full bandwith
of dual T1s, the telco actually had to refund their money.

The tough part is in coming up with the proof, but I suspect that a
reasonably savvy state's attorney general could make a good case
for misleading advertising if the provider never or rarely provides
the advertised bandwidth.