Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Broadband truth in advertising, redux

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:14:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: February 10, 2010 11:00:32 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Broadband truth in advertising, redux

There is no doubt that mobility (operation at 100 kph) creates a design constraint that has significant costs - in fact the cost of cell phones traveling at 1000 kph - airplanes is significant disruption to the system, and is probably the *real* reason that not using a cellphone on the airplane is a rule that the cellular operators don't dispute.

That said, cell systems are reasonably adaptive, and most phones are not traveling, so the engineering of real cellular systems includes design choices that minimize the costs for phones that are not moving, since 90% of phones even in the US are not moving.

It's not clear that the cost of supporting 10% of the phones moving is really that high as a proportion of total opex.

In a third world country that has a few cars, I would suggest that mere tweaking of parameters in current designs is far better engineering than designing a "one off" system that does not support moving vehicles at all! That's the Clean Slate philosophy, and it is opposed to the basic "engineering pragmatics" that created the Internet - interoperability and evolvability are extremely useful.