Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Lauren Weinstein -- Microsoft's Police State Vision? Exec Calls for Internet "Driver's Licenses"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:02:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: February 7, 2010 7:31:54 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Lauren Weinstein -- Microsoft's Police State Vision? Exec Calls for Internet "Driver's Licenses"

Dave,

Just for the record, I didn't (and don't) see anything in the "Curious
Capitalist" blog entry referenced by Roy below that contradicts my
original posting.  If anything, Kiviat's posting makes Mundie's call
for an impractical and inevitably abused forced authentication regime
even more explicit.

Note that I never said that Mundie *wanted* a police state.  I said
that such police state style total authentication systems would
inevitably lead to police state style abuses.

This seems even more clear in light of new revelations regarding
law enforcement calls for data retention, which I discuss in the
5 Feb. blob item: http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000679.html .

Mundie's motivations, like many of those parties calling for similar
schemes and broad data retention, may well be laudable ones.  But that
doesn't change the fact that such proposals, if adopted, move us
inevitably and perhaps irrevocably further toward becoming a total
surveillance society, where the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution
would no longer be worth the parchment that it was written on.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

- - -