Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Just a simple question re the IPhone

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:08:36 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

Date: February 5, 2009 10:41:58 PM EST
To: Dave CROCKER <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: Just a simple question re the IPhone

On 2009-02-05 at 17:38 -0500, David Farber wrote:
    "* The G1, like the iPhone and T-Mobile's Sidekick, will have its
SIM card slot locked to prevent the use of other carriers' subscriber-
identity module cards. So if you don't like T-Mobile's network here or
its roaming rates overseas, you'll either have to suck it up or hope
somebody "jailbreaks" this phone in the same way that hackers have
defeated the iPhone's SIM locking."

http://code.google.com/android/dev-devices.html

Google employees in most of the world got a rather nice winter break
gift, instead of cash -- the G1 dev phone.  This is the unit available
for sale on the site above, although apparently some of the stenciling
on the case is custom for ours.  Consider that the disclosure that I
work for Google and am not unbiased.

For the public, you need to register as a developer and then buy the
unit.  Details at that URL.

It's SIM-unlocked, hardware-unlocked.  The only downside if you're
looking for complete carrier freedom is that the 3G frequency supported
is only used by T-Mobile in the USA, AIUI.  So if you go with another
provider then you're limited to EDGE speeds.

Myself, I'm using it without a SIM.  Poor 3G coverage at home and nearby
by T-Mobile, so I don't want to spend all the money for an unlimited
data plan.  As a wifi-only device, it's rather funky.  I like it and use
it quite a bit.  Okay, I lose too much time playing games on it.