Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Just a simple question re the IPhone

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:36:24 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Charles Brown <cbrown () flyingcircuit com>
Date: February 5, 2009 3:18:43 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Brown Charles <cbrown () flyingcircuit com>, victor () victormarks com
Subject: Re: Just a simple question re the IPhone

Dave,

The iPhone is a perfect example of a product that props-up the "old" telecom model. It is therefore highly vulnerable to competitive forces over the ATT contract period IMO, which is five years since introduction.

I am a big fan of OS X and we have several Macs at our house, but I refuse to buy an iPhone (and I really want one) until I can use it on any network with a seamless and supported jailbreak. iTunes is also an unwanted walled-garden but I like the iPod classic just the same and the garden is easier to get around than with the iPhone.

Someone showing me cool apps on the iPhone at dinner the other night recommended that I buy an iPod Touch instead. I responded, "Have you noticed that the telco/cellco/cableco have been rolling-up the hotspot business lately?" It seems hotspots are being positioned as loss- leaders to sell dual-mode (cellco/WiFi) smart phones, which generate higher ARPUs, or as a bundled service with their "quad-play" fare.

Significantly, for innovators in the wireless market, this has the undesired effect of undermining revenue models for alternative access using unlicensed spectrum and of controlling the market for access, their special expertise. First, the unlicensed technology standards were adulterated through the regulatory process dating back to the late 80's (forced WiFi instead of scalable infrastructure) and now the existing infrastructure is through market forces. The iPhone is hardly an innovative product in this regard. Nice OS though.

Charlie

So I HAVE to use ATT or I have a brick. djf

Begin forwarded message: