Interesting People mailing list archives

Just a simple question re the IPhone

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:30:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bill Williamson <bill () bbqninja com>
Date: February 6, 2009 7:23:52 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Just a simple question re the IPhone

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:38 AM, David Farber <dave () farber net> wrote:
What happens to an iphone owner when their contract with ATT runs it's two years. Will Apple unlock the phone or will one end up with a brick or the necessity of re-subing with ATT (if your silly enough).

This is an AT&T locked phone question, not an iphone question.

I have an IPhone with optus here in Australia. If you sign up for a contract, you can call and ask for an unlock at ANY time.

If you buy one for prepaid outright (for ~$700 aud) you can unlock it as long as you've used ~$100 credit on the phone. If you haven't you just buy that credit to qualify

Once unlocked I can use it with any carrier in any country who supports 850/1900/2100.

So the question is "What happens with ANY phone you buy through AT&T which is locked".