Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The embarrassment of American broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:34:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: April 28, 2009 11:12:09 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   The embarrassment of American broadband

Here's why American "broadband" is an embarrassment. Ignorance at all levels. Ignorance piled on ignorance. Even those who claim expertise seem to want to add to the ignorance... Lest we get confused by another incorrect statement being added to the IP fray:

Brett Glass wrote:

Actually, as an engineer, I understand that in truth NO service except cable modem service is truly "broadband." ("Broadband" -- the antonym is "baseband" -- refers to unidirectional and/or bidirectional communications which are done via frequency division multiplexing over a shared, wideband medium with multiple taps.)

As a technical term, broadband is not the opposite of "baseband", nor does it have anything to do specifically with multiplexing, FDM or otherwise. Broadband is the opposite of Narrowband - to an engineer. (at the end, I will explain that to a policy wonk or wonkette, the term has become meaninglessly converted to mean something like "triple play").

The bandwidth of a band-limited message is the range of frequencies into which the message is coded by some modulation technique, specifically F[H] - F[L] where F[H] is the highest frequency used to code the message, and F[L] is the lowest. We usually use the symbol W to represent the bandwidth of a message, signal, or system - and it is measured in Hertz.

For a particular message, signal, or system, one can choose among modulation techniques that uses a wide range of frequencies or a narrow range of frequencies. Broadband techniques can be compared with narrowband techniques on a number of "quality", "cost" and so forth dimensions.

In a condition where noise is Additive, Gaussian and White, there is one perfect transmitter and one perfect receiver, a fixed limit on the power of the transmitter, and no boundary conditions on the EM field, the capacity theorem from information theory says that theoretical limit of capacity of a radio system or a coaxial cable is C = W log ( (N+S)/N ), where N and S are the energy of the Noise and Signal at the receiver.

Ultrawideband techniques, for example, are the extreme form of broadband techniques, where W is quasi infinite, so the signal energy can be quite small compared to noise.

However, this has nothing whatever to do with the policy debate surrounding the term "Broadband". In that debate, Broadband means whatever the cable and telcos want it to mean. Sometimes it means High-Speed Internet Access. Sometimes it means lots of TV channels.

In general, it appears to be being defined by policymakers as "triple play" with faster than dialup Internet on the side to keep those who want to be hip and cool Internetters "happy".

To me this is the ignorant leading the blind. But what do we expect when people claiming to be engineers and computer scientists persist in adapting terms to mean nothing at all but "please subsidize me, Mr. Congressman?"