Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The embarrassment of American broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:09:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sean Berry <berry () housebsd org>
Date: April 27, 2009 2:30:55 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   The embarrassment of American broadband

The Bay Area is not flat: there are many little corners, up hills, or down in canyons, where wireless isn't practical, and even telephone and electricity doesn't benefit from much shared access. If a winter storm takes out a particular power pole, there can be a half dozen + houses out for days while 100' of utility gets re-rigged.

With these costs of infrastructure, it's definitely harder to get high- speed broadband (anything more than 100kbps) into these areas for a "reasonable" price. Of course, in areas like central Iowa, where a grain elevator is a relatively common occurrence, and the surrounding geography is not complicated, wireless broadband starts to make a lot more sense.

Some of the earliest modern (802.11b) long range (3+ miles) wireless internet access in the Bay Area was done line of sight to an office building in downtown San Jose, but that site did happen to be in one of the flatter areas of the South Bay.

--
Sean Berry
berry () housebsd org