Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The embarrassment of American broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:11:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Press <lpress () csudh edu>
Date: April 27, 2009 9:35:52 AM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:     The embarrassment of American broadband

Robert Atkinson wrote:

If the issue is how to increase broadband adoption levels in the United States, the Pew data implies that the unavailability of broadband facilities is not the major problem.

That is only one issue. Reasonably priced, symmetric, high speed connectivity with its implications for the culture and economy is desired by and important to many.

We are about to replace our copper access network with fiber and wireless. We will then live with that network for decades. The question is not whether we will move to a next generation network, but who will own and control the network?

Larry Press