Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The embarrassment of American broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 04:11:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Atkinson <rca53 () columbia edu>
Date: April 26, 2009 10:35:05 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    The embarrassment of American broadband

If the issue is how to increase broadband adoption levels in the United
States, the Pew data implies that the unavailability of broadband facilities
is not the major problem.

See
http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2009/Stimulating-Broadband-If-Obama-build
s-it-will-they-log-on.aspx?r=1

And see the chart entitled "Summary of the reasons dial-up and non- internet users cite for not having broadband at home" which notes that 14% of these non-users of broadband (4.5% of all adults) cite "Availablity" as the reason
for not having broadband at home. Pew notes that "Usability" (17% of
non-broadband/ 5.5% of all adults) and "relevance" (51% of
non-broadband/16.4% of all adults) are by far the larger reasons for not
having broadband at home.

This data (and Pew's interpretation) implies that the internet and computer training and literacy projects (which are eligible to be funded by the NTIA portion of the broadband stimulus, BTW) may be more worthwhile, in terms of
encouraging broadband adoption, than broadband deployment projects which
would address the much smaller "availability" problem.

Bob Atkinson