Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The embarrassment of American broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:41:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: April 27, 2009 2:07:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: bill.stewart () pobox com
Subject: Re: [IP] The embarrassment of American broadband

Bill Stewart writes:

What David, Brett, and Jonathan Seff's Macworld.com article are
really disagreeing on is how fast "broadband" is or should be.
People like Brett, who sell wireless service to remote areas,
and telcos that sell cheap low-end DSL as well as faster service,
and maybe still sell IDSL in remote areas,
think that anything faster than dialup is broadband.

Actually, as an engineer, I understand that in truth NO service except cable modem service is truly "broadband." ("Broadband" -- the antonym is "baseband" -- refers to unidirectional and/or bidirectional communications which are done via frequency division multiplexing over a shared, wideband medium with multiple taps.)

That being said, the key issue in rural areas is getting users decent service that they can afford. If 1 Mbps costs $100 to $500 at wholesale (not counting the cost of the last mile), then the user who can afford $30 per month can't and won't pay for a 1 Mbps connection with 100% duty cycle. Hence, a combination of duty cycle restriction/ oversale and bandwidth throttling is economically necessary to provide that user with affordable service. It's not a matter of "think[ing] that anything faster that dialup is broadband;" it's a matter of creating the best and most useful service possible, given the available inputs. Speed isn't everything; utility is.

Yeah, Korea and Japan and even Sweden have really fast
cheap service - but are they doing anything interesting
with it besides TV, downloading movies from Pirate Bay,
and occasionally looking at the produce at their
neighborhood grocery store?  Where are the cool apps
that drive new connectivity?  For dialup, it was email,
and for low-end broadband, it was Napster and the web.

Exactly.

I'm more interested in what you can do with the service
than I am with absolute speeds - the big applications for
speeds over ~1 Mbps are television and its competitors,
which are intellectually uninteresting even though they
may be important market drivers and may cost less than satellite.

Actually, television costs far more to deliver via IP than via satellite -- and is staggeringly less efficient to deliver that way. Any isochronous bulk data delivery -- such as "streaming" of audio or video programming -- is best done via a broadcast medium.

On the other hand, I really object to ISPs that won't let me
run any kind of (non-spam) server on my home machines,
or which limit my monthly download, both of which are
bad habits, one learned from cable modem companies
and the other learned from Australian ex-monopolies.

As mentioned above, these are not "bad habits" but rather constraints which are necessary to allow economical price tiers. We do offer service options with fewer constraints; they simply have to be priced so that the income covers our costs. An ISP should (in fact, must!) be economically sustainable, or it will ultimately fail and leave customers stranded.

The reason Brett objects to the cost of wholesale bandwidth
he has to buy, and therefore to heavy bandwidth users,
has a lot to do with why he's standing out on customer
roofs in bad weather installing antennas -
it's because he wants to provide good service
but lives way out in the middle of nowhere
instead of somewhere warm and civilized.

Actually, we'd be standing on customer roofs even if we were in a more densely populated area, because wireless is more economical than cable or fiber ANYWHERE.

Also, Laramie is not "the middle of nowhere," nor is it in any respect uncivilized. It's a city of 28,000 people, a two hour drive from Denver, Colorado, with a world class university campus. And it's a wonderful place to live. Our goal is to improve the quality of life still further by supplying first rate high speed Internet -- both in town where DSL and cable are available and in outlying areas where one can get neither.

--Brett Glass