Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Australia to Require Mandatory ISP Filtering of "Inappropriate" Content

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:21:14 -0800

From: David Burt [david_burt () filteringfacts org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 10:50 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Australia to Require Mandatory ISP Filtering of "Inappropriate" Content

But what's wrong with offering "opt out" instead of "opt in" filtering, as long as it's relatively easy and private to
opt out?  This will help keep kids safe.   Heck, even the ACLU agrees software is the better solution, per this Oct 23,
2007 entry on their website:
"Keep Kids Safe with Software, Not Censorship"
http://blog.aclu.org/index.php?/archives/318-Keep-Kids-Safe-with-Software,-Not-Censorship.html
Mandatory "Opt Out" filtering of pornographic sites by ISPs I think is the next wave in democratic countries. Japan is
also planning it (see story below).  I think this is a trend that will accelerate in democratic countries as societies
look for new ways to protect children from the inundation of pornography on the Internet.  Would this work in the U.S.?
 I think the ISPs would fight it like hell, and the civil liberties groups would too. But if "opting out" were easy
enough and reasonably anonymous, I think the current Supreme Court might uphold it.

 Eweek story on Japan's opt-out filtering proposal :
Softbank and Willcom to begin implementing mobile phone filtering for minors. Mobile phone online filtering already is
available by the Japanese carriers, but according to Gyaku.jp<http://Gyaku.jp>, few use the option. The proposed
regulations would strengthen existing policy by requiring online filtering to be the default setting for phones
intended for minors. The filtering could be turned off with the explicit request of the minor's patent or guardian.
More stuff on my blog at www.filteringfacts.org<http://www.filteringfacts.org/>