Interesting People mailing list archives

age on whitepages.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:34:52 -0800

From: eugippius () gmail com [eugippius () gmail com] On Behalf Of James J. O'Donnell [provost () georgetown edu]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 9:14 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: age on whitepages.com

Dave, a friend who in other times might have been described as a woman
of a certain age calls my attention to the fact that
www.whitepages.com has started delivering not only addresses and phone
numbers but ages of the subjects of queries, typically in five year
ranges (60-64, 65-69, etc.).  You seem to have escaped, though there's
a David Farber in Reading PA who's 92 and not so lucky as you.  I'd be
glad to hear informed speculation or better as to how they're getting
that data, how accurate it might be, and whether there is any legal
recourse in such a case?  I expect not, but the site does allow you to
remove your listing from their site (rather subtly and easily
overlooked) -- understanding that it doesn't touch their sources.

Jim O'Donnell