Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Chinese hackers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:27:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: November 27, 2005 6:18:50 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Chinese hackers

At 05:47 PM 11/25/2005, eekid () aol com wrote:

Mr. Farber,
I work for the DOD and nmapping by employees happens fairly often. To my knowledge, I'm not aware of anyone receiving a phone call or an email, much less armed encounters. : ) Depending on where a person works, there is a DOD "NETWORK SECURITY STAND-DOWN" either approaching or it has already passed. http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/ 0/6a9ba6bbe69dac91852570ba0080ccc9?OpenDocument

https://infosec.navy.mil/ps/?t=main/main.tag&bc=main/bc_main.html

What's truly interesting is that the second of these links also mentions the distribution of Symantec's Norton antivirus software within the DoD. This implies that the DoD is using Windows systems which run the Symantec software. Given that Windows is infamously insecure (with new security holes surfacing weekly) and Symantec has announced that there are security holes that it will not close (austensibly to allow the government to snoop on users, but hackers can of course use the same holes), is it any wonder that there are problems?

--Brett Glass

"If builders built houses the way programmers built programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization." --Gerald P. Weinberg