Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Chinese hackers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:21:18 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [IP] more on Chinese hackers
Date:   Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:21:38 -0500
From:   Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
To:     ip () v2 listbox com
CC:     David Farber <dave () farber net>

I thought it might be worth quoting something from my most recent Congressional testimony (available as <http://homes.cerias.purdue.edu/ ~spaf/usgov/newHASC.pdf> that I think is the most important overall point about any incursions into DoD systems:

If this variety and magnitude of incidents were to occur to physical resources – unauthorized access to sensitive data, disclosure of personnel information, significant fraud, espionage, and degradation of function – there would be widespread outcry, investigation, and significant disciplinary action against those in charge. Unfortunately, we have developed an attitude and culture that views failures and compromises of important computing systems as inevitable and acceptable. This is dangerous, and threatens the future economic and military safety of the
country.