Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Chinese hackers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:44:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marc <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Date: November 27, 2005 4:41:54 PM EST
To: "'David Wagner'" <daw () cs berkeley edu>
Cc: wilsonrj () cogeco ca, dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Chinese hackers

Hello David;

I pretty much agree with your concepts, with the exception that I never said
"all systems are equally insecure." What I said was that all man-made
systems are vulnerable to man. The measure of vulnerability (as is the
measure of risk) is largely arbitrary and based upon historical precedent along with some inductive reasoning and often a bit of financial analysis. The reality of risk in an evolving technological environment is that it is
generally present yet specifically unknowable. We can build models to
predict probabilities and impacts, but they can only be built using history and conjecture - there is no way to KNOW what all potential risks are, and I would submit that when it comes to technology, we can't even know HALF of the risks a system faces over the course of a year into the future. Whether a network is internet connected or not does not appreciably affect its risk profile unless you consider the systems to be otherwise naked. The assessed risk profile of an internet connected system is likely different, but not
necessarily less secure than a private system.

As any security professional will tell you, the number one cause of failure
in any security plan/procedure is people - machines don't make security
errors. So I can only agree that IF a hacker finds information they
shouldn't, then somebody didn't do their job - the real problem then
becomes, WHO didn't do their job? The base commander, the security officer,
the security consultant, the software vendor, the hardware vendor, the
telecom provider, the implementation team, the content management team . . ?

Of course, it may be that the "guilty parties" involved actually were doing
what they were told! One of the more interesting forms of security is to
misdirect your adversary.

Marc