Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:12:09 -0500

--On October 16, 2006 10:40:13 PM -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

For various reasons, which you can easily google, I don't think spf (at
least in its present form) is a useful solution.

You think that SPF (where you ask what a sites expected outbound servers
are, to tell if you're getting it from an expected source) is broken,
but you think that looking at a site's list of *inbound* to identify
outbound servers is *sensible*??!?

I did NOT say spf was broken. I said I didn't think it was useful. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Stop erecting straw men from things I never said and then attributing them to me, OK?

You're entitled to your opinion.  It would be nice if it was based on fact.

I won't respond to any more of this. The thread has gone on far too long already and for no useful purpose other than to browbeat an open-source product that does a very nice job of stopping spam, viruses and phishing scams. Those who have tested it know that it works.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/