Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:59:12 -0400

On 10/14/06, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:
--On October 14, 2006 1:44:04 AM -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

> Tell you what.  Explain what an *OUTBOUND* MX is, and I'll see what I
> can do.

It appears that what you're missing is that this one "flaw" is not enough
to get mail rejected by policyd-weight.

I dont intend to speak from another, but I think what Valdis is trying
to point out is that whether or not the lack of an "outbound MX
record" is detrimental to email delivery is not important.

Rather, the fact a rule was included that shows a deep
misunderstanding of SMTP and how it relates to DNS. This can only
negatively affect the false positive/negative ratio, and might be an
indication that other more serious flaws may be present in their
implementation.

-JP<I dont presume to presume>