Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Massive SPAM Increase

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamesr () europe com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:33:54 +1300

On 17/10/06, gabriel rosenkoetter <gr () eclipsed net> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 12:17:51PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> It appears that what you're missing is that this one "flaw" is not enough
> to get mail rejected by policyd-weight.

What you're missing is that the assumption that systems sending
valid mail will always (or even will usually) be listed in DNS is
fundamentally wrong and should never be used even as a weighted
guess to indicate spam.

Well, they may be listed in SPF records, though I agree not in MX.

And by itself, I don't believe SPF provides a useful indication one
way or the other as to whether a message is spam or not.  Lots of
spammers set up SPF records these days.

cheers,
Jamie
--
Jamie Riden, CISSP / jamesr () europe com / jamie.riden () gmail com
NZ Honeynet project - http://www.nz-honeynet.org/