Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Massive SPAM Increase

From: "Vince Valenti" <vvalenti () hdesd k12 or us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:58:25 -0700

On 10/16/2006 at 11:57 AM, benfell () raven cybernude org wrote:

Because my laptop might send mail from just about anwhere, I've had to
configure the SPF in my DNS to say that legitimate mail from my domain
might come from anywere.  This does not help in the slightest to isolate
legitimate mail from my domain from "joe job" mail.

Ideally, you would send email from your laptop through another SMTP server
that you authenticate with.

From the SPF FAQ:

Can I run an SMTP server on my laptop?

If you run a personal domain, you can either not publish SPF records at all,
or set up "v=spf1 ?all" for your domain, and you'll be able to send mail
from your laptop no matter where you are. A better solution would be to set
up your own smtp server that accepts mail from your laptop through
POP-before-SMTP or SASL AUTH, so that you can still publish a more
restrictive spf record.

If you are the customer of an ISP that publishes SPF records, your ISP
should provide you with an SMTP server that you can authenticate to, using
either POP-before-SMTP or SASL AUTH. Or you can ask them to exclude you from
SPF using a user-specific "exists" mechanism.

--
Vince Valenti
Enterprise Systems Administrator