Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamesr () europe com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:20:24 +1300

On 14/10/06, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:
--On October 13, 2006 10:46:34 PM -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:33:12 CDT, Paul Schmehl said:
>
> (Digging out from a long week of other stuff, sorry for the late
> response)
>
>> Its purpose is to reject *all* mail from bogus MTAs - dialups,
>> misconifigured servers, MTAs that aren't registered in the domains' DNS
>> as a "legal" MX, MTAs that don't reverse properly, etc., etc.  If the
>> email is
>
> "mta that aren't registered in the DNS as a "legal" MX" - tell me Paul,
> how does that work with any site that's big enough that they run split
> inbound MX and outbound servers?

Send me an email at geek () stovebolt com, and I'll tell you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "split inbound and outbound", but any
outbound MX host *should* be listed in DNS.  You only list one -
smtp.vt.edu.  192.82.162.213 is reversible, so it would get points for
being honest about its IP/hostname, but it would lose points for not being
listed in DNS as an MX.  The overall score would determine if the mail was
rejected, but I doubt that it would be.

Hi Paul,

For example, my old uni used to send outgoing mail from
its-mail1.massey.ac.nz, but MXs are mu-relay{1,2}.massey.ac.nz. The
only place that its-mail1 gets mentioned in the DNS is in the SPF
record, not MX. Presumably that's what you meant by 'outbound MX
host'?

cheers,
Jamie
--
Jamie Riden, CISSP / jamesr () europe com / jamie.riden () gmail com
NZ Honeynet project - http://www.nz-honeynet.org/