Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Odd identd behavior

From: "Levenglick, Jeff" <JLevenglick () fhlbatl com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:52:08 -0500

Ok.. It looks like we are all confused.
This is why I said mail:

1) He checked his mail logs for connects that were not rfc correct. He found a few that did not ident correctly. The
assumption now is that a smtp server or a telnet to port 25 connected to him. (more then likely to see if his server
was not setup/patched correctly and would send spam)

So, based on that, one would assume that you would connect back to the ip in your log file on port 25 to see who they
are. I think the problem is he did not say what port he connected on to ident them. Yes, it could be
ident,netbui,smtp,ftp....ect

2) He did say that he thought there was a backdoor in the mail server. Because he is looking for and said mail server,
I am assuming he connected on port 25 to them. Someone said nmap..ect to see a hidden port. Why.. assuming the above,
we know the port and the assumption is an ftp server on port 25. (very strange, but who knows)

Mike,

what port did you connect ot them on?
also...if you connect on 25, what did it ident itself as? (ie: smtp server version or ftp server version)

rather then go through all of that...go to arin.net, do a whois on the ip address you have and if you have the time,
call them.
I would not run nmap against someone else, you could find yourself in legal trouble.