Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd identd behavior

From: kgp () nethere com
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:37:00 -0800

Mike,

220 is the banner message for an ftp server.
If you telnet to it and hit return after recieving the banner message you
should get a 530 if it's a normally configured ftp server (and if it's not
then why'd they leave the 220 on the banner?).

dig or nslookup the site. That should give you a contact name and phone
number although a lot of folks leave that out now. It is probably the
person paying for the site and you'll have to ask to be put in touch with
the actual admins.

Kevin

Quoting "Christopher E. Cramer" <chris.cramer () duke edu>:

Mike,

This looks like the output from an FTP server.  If I had to guess, I
would
say that this looks like someone compromised a machine and installed a
warez ftp server on the identd port.

-c

--
Christopher E. Cramer, Ph.D.
University Information Technology Security Officer