Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd identd behavior

From: Mike Owen <kyphros () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:40:00 -0800

On 11/14/05, Christopher E. Cramer <chris.cramer () duke edu> wrote:

Mike,

This looks like the output from an FTP server.  If I had to guess, I would
say that this looks like someone compromised a machine and installed a
warez ftp server on the identd port.

-c

--
Christopher E. Cramer, Ph.D.
University Information Technology Security Officer

You're right, it does look like that. I didn't even think that it
might be a standard service running on a different port.

I don't own these machines, so I don't really want to connect to these
servers to find out if it really is ftp. It does seem likely that they
are warez servers.

Thanks,
Mike