Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Odd identd behavior

From: "Levenglick, Jeff" <JLevenglick () fhlbatl com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:46:17 -0500

Ok.... It's a good thing we all read his message...

He said mail server logs....

220 is a valid MAIL server response.
see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc793.txt   220 <domain> Service
ready

Where did ftp come from?

Now.. Why does it say: 220 ..:: ?lit?-Cr?w Rulez ::....530 Not logged
in...

Because that is what they put as the ident of the mail server-  ..::
?lit?-Cr?w Rulez ::....530 Not logged in...

My quick quess is that  ..:: when sent to a daemon could overflow or
maybe do something it is not supposed to. (ie: a parse bug)
Or the mail server was hacked and they replaced the ident of the box
with their name.
OR the host was hacked and the host name was changed. Assuming a Unix
box, did you check your host name?    hostname   or uname -a