Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Incident investigation methodologies

From: pfft <col_panic2 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Fiscus, Kevin" <kfiscus () allianttech com> wrote:
Based on the circumstances, one must
assess the risk vs. reward of performing certain
actions versus and make a decision.  In some
circumstances, it makes sence to take a production
system off-line and in other cases, it doesn't.  In
some cases, it may even make sence to simply monitor
the situation and otherwise do nothing.

Agreed. So if we assign response scenarios based upon
criticality of data, we can provide administrators
with a template for each type of situation.

If a web server, containing no critical informatin
(isolated from the corporate network also) gets
defaced, it may make sence to simply restore from
backup.  (How do you determine what happened to
prevent it from happening again?)

Simply restoring from backup will not prevent the same
compromise from occuring again, so we might want to do
some analysis to determine how the intrusion occurred
and prevent the system from being compromised as soon
as it is put back online.

--snip--

It seems like people keep wanting a 1-size-fits-all
solution.  That is just not the case.

Agreed. This is the reason for assigning security
labels. We can use the same idea for response levels.
A compromise of a system with critical data should get
the full forensic examination, and merely internal
data should be reimaged and patched.

--

Jonathan Bloomquist, CISSP