Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Incident investigation methodologies

From: "Fiscus, Kevin" <kfiscus () allianttech com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:19:50 -0400

Perhaps I have missed something but I don't have a clue what we are talking about now.  As I see it, investigations and
forensics are just another part of security and thus must be addressed with regard to risk.  Based on the
circumstances, one must assess the risk vs. reward of performing certain actions versus and make a decision.  In some
circumstances, it makes sence to take a production system off-line and in other cases, it doesn't.  In some cases, it
may even make sence to simply monitor the situation and otherwise do nothing.

If a web server, containing no critical informatin (isolated from the corporate network also) gets defaced, it may make
sence to simply restore from backup.  (How do you determine what happened to prevent it from happening again?)

If a mission critical application with thousands of credit cards, legislatively protected data (CA SB 1386, HIPAA,
GLPA, Sarbanes-Oxley, 21 CFR Part 11) gets compromised, legal action may be waranted and thus an a detailed forensics
examination would be required.

It is important to remember, when dealing with these metaphores, that unlike a human, a computer can be imaged and
returned to production.  The dead cannot generally be restored to life.  The key factor here is that the response must
fit the situation.  Sometimes a doctor will do a simple, cheap, non-invasive procedure.  Sometimes treatment involves
massively invasive surgery and prolonged, painful theropy.  It depends on the situation.

It seems like people keep wanting a 1-size-fits-all solution.  That is just not the case.  Statements such as "In the
real world, production systems need to go back into production ASAP." and "Time = Money, that's a cold, hard fact, and
there simply isn't any way
around it." imply that no organization can afford to take a production system offline to do an investgation.  If the
compromise could result in regulatory penalties, significant loss of revenue, potential disclosure of certain types of
information, an organization may not be able to afford not to.

I agree that frontline support staff generally don't have the time, resources or knowledge to conduct investigations.
That is why we are here.  These comments, however, illustrate the value of the initial focus of this thread.

Kevin B. Fiscus, CISSP
GIAC Certified Forensics Analyst
CCNA, SCSA, RCSE
Senior Information Security Engineer