Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Incident investigation methodologies

From: pfft <col_panic2 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:40:08 -0700 (PDT)

--- Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com> wrote:

Agreed. So if we assign response scenarios based
upon
criticality of data, we can provide administrators
with a template for each type of situation.

Agreed.  However, consider this...rather than
assigning response scenarios based on criticality of
data, the response activities should be passed on
policy...and the policy should identify critical
systems.  A matter of semantics, perhaps, but
policies
and procedures are a critical part of incident
response, particularly in a corporate environment.
They also play a critical role in the LEO
environment.

I'll buy that.

I think the question then becomes, do we need to
have
separate templates based on the activities, or can
we
create a single template for, say, the most critical
systems, and that same template can be used for all
less-critical systems?

If a single template simplifies things, then I think
that is best. I just think administrators may shy away
from a complex forensic procedure on non-critical
systems, so the parts that apply to all systems should
be highlighted as such and things like memory dumps
can be left to those with the need, time and skill
required.

What I've been trying to develop is a usable,
verifiable, document procedure for collecting
volatile
data from live systems, to perform incident
verification and identification.

Excellent idea.

=====