Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Simple Windows incident response methodology

From: "Mike Lyman" <mlyman-security () comcast net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:01:20 -0500

I would also like to propose another step which may address the
issue we're currently discussing: Identification. I would place
this between Detection and Containment.

It's really at this point that the person(s) handling the incident
must decide whether the desired outcome will require preservation
of evidence or rebuilding the system. The answer to that question
has profound impact upon the methodology used and by extension
the costs involved.

This step is implicit in the process, however, I have seen it
given inadequate attention frequently enough that I'm starting to
think it should be explicitly stated. Given that much of the
proposed methodology is directed toward this exact goal, I
don't think it's much of a stretch.

The decision to end and an incident as quickly as possible or to take legal
action was often explicitely spelled out in our incident response plans in my
previous job as was reevaluation that decision all along the way. Include was
the recognition that it was easy to go from preparing to take legal action to
fight the fire but extremely difficult to go from fight the fire to prepare to
take legal action.

Management will rarely understand there is a difference in the methodologies if
it is not spelled out. They probably still won't but it's better to document it.

Mike Lyman, CISSP
mlyman () west-point org
pgp keyid 0xAB7F35DA