Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange set of TCP ports

From: Josh Tolley <josh () raintreeinc com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:14:46 -0700

If it's a windows box, you might take a tool like psexec.exe, BeyondExec.exe (not sure from where... Google should do it), or the equivalent whose name I've forgotten from the corresponding Windows resource kit and use it to run FPort or a similar utility. It worked for me recently while investigating other strange traffic.

Josh Tolley

mgotts () 2roads com wrote:

Run openports.exe from DiamondCS on the suspect boxen.
If you don't have physical access, but do have admin
access, use psexec.exe from SysInternals, as well.

psexec.exe from SysInternals is a remote program execution utility. I use it now and then, and am not aware of any capability to have it list ports in use and what programs are using them.

SysInternals probably does have such a utility, but I'm not sure what it is off the top of my head.

-- Mark

--- Raistlin <raistlin () gioco net> wrote:

Greetings,

can someone help me in identifying the following
strange subset of open TCP ports ?
3687/tcp open  unknown
3688/tcp open  unknown
3689/tcp open  rendezvous
3690/tcp open  unknown
3691/tcp open  unknown

Googling or looking at the usual known ports lists
do not yield any results. I'd like to identify this beast if
possible. Thanks in advance.

Stefano

ForwardSourceID:NT000844F2

--