Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Strange set of TCP ports

From: "J Jason Bridge" <jbridge () kw igs net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:23:22 -0400

I found this:

[Joshua Rafofsky] wrote "Perhaps one of the most unheralded features of
iTunes 4 is the ability to connect and share with music outside of your own
local network! In order to activate this, turn on sharing in the iTunes
preferences. Also be sure to open port 3689 in your router or firewall (this
is iTunes' port for sharing). Then, tell your buddy across town to open
iTunes 4 and choose "Connect to shared music" from the Advanced menu. Then
he types in your public IP address.

"Voila! He will have full interactive access to your music library, as well
as any playlists you decide to share. (The collection shows up in the left
column, the same way local machines would show up via Rendezvous.) Let me
reiterate, this is *not* merely a stream of what you are playing... this is
your full library, with full listening priveleges. Note that this only works
with current MP3's, as any purchased (AAC) files are authorized to work on
up to 3 machines with your account only.

For the entire article here is the link:  http://www.macnn.com/news/19288

HTH
JB