Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FTP and RPC based worms [was anyone else ...]

From: Steve Clement <steve () ALDIGITAL CO UK>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:38:37 +0000

Russell Fulton wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:40:16 +0200 Mihai Moldovanu <mihaim () PROFM RO>
wrote:

All fairly standard stuff except that the whole process took under 2
minutes from initial probe to launching the scanner.

I conclude that what we have here is a worm spreading via ftp.

I have port scanned the compromised system and it is listening on port
27374, the same as the one on 194.163.254.235 where it got its tools
from.  When I connected to this port via telnet I got a large amount
of binary data dumped to the terminal.  No other unusual ports open.

I have not examined the compromised system myself yet, its in another
department across campus.

I scanned our network traffic for the last couple of days looking for
traffic to tcp 27374 and found a very slow scans going from one address.

194.163.254.235 also probed tcp 111 on machines that responded to
the ftp scan but were not vulnerable to their ftp exploit.

No wonder they've been hacked with a out of the box redhat 7.0
Install..., that site's hostname is btw: sms.convidis.de a very nice sms
portal, it delivered my sms to the uk in under 5sec's, someone should
contact them and make them aware of the fact that they' ve been
hacked... http://www.convidis.de if theres trouble with germa I could
probably help out...

cheers steve

--