Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: anyone else seen an increase in sunrpc scans these days?

From: Edward Mitchell <ed () XWING CENTIGRAM COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 07:34:05 -0800

The last 10 days have seen a total of 15 sunrpc scans/rpcinfo queries and
related exploit attempts against my network.  Oddly, snort reports the
rpc exploits as x86 versions.  I thought there was a sparc port for the
Solaris vulnerability, but maybe I'm mistaken.  Either stupid people out
there can't tell an x86 from a sparc box, or snort's rule is flawed...

The other most common attack these days is against ftp, namely wu-ftpd
2.6.1(very patched).

*sigh*