Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: anyone else seen an increase in sunrpc scans these days?

From: Ignacio Machin <imachin () CI CL>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:07:19 -0600

I have also noted an increased in RPC scanning, yesterday were from:
ftp.bses.tcc.edu.tw  an RH 6.0 on a i586 kernel 2.2.5
medicina20.bio.um.es an RH 6.2 (Zoot) Kernel 2.2.14-5.0 on an i586
205.218.251.7 Red Hat  6.2 (Zoot) Kernel 2.2.14-5.0smp on a 2-processor i686
216.82.71.6  Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) (Red Hat/Linux) PHP/3.0.15 mod_perl/1.21
on Linux (obtained with netcraft )
 211.62.38.22 RH 6.2 (Zoot) Kernel 2.2.14-5.0 on an i686

So after this I notices something:

ALL of then are RH boxes all of then seems to have weak protection or none
cause I could connect to ports 23, 21 25 in almost all of them ( except
216.82.71.6  )

Going now to check if there is some bug on those systems regarding the RPC,
also to note is that the above reports are from a NT box so the "thing" has
not OS detection system.