Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Korea (was RE: ?)

From: mis () SEIDEN COM (Mark Seiden)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:20:42 -0800

a. how would you *know* what service was running at a port
without connecting to it?  you can neither presume it is a
private nor a public service...

so then you connect and see a # prompt.  (you still don't *know*
that you're talking to a root shell, until you type a few commands.
hey, maybe it's one of those adventure MUDs!)

maybe your session (ip address, keystrokes) is being logged,
maybe not, by a bad guy, or by the good guys.

b. simply connecting to a service presents not a hint of an
ethical issue, for me.  no violations of the golden rule or
the hippocratic oath.

what you do once you're there, and your motivation for what you
do (malice or good samaritan-ship) answers the ethical questions.

c. the legal questions are separate (but for well-written laws)
derived from the ethical ones.

d. considering:

1. the balance of power between the good guys and
the bad guys here,

2. how clueless law enforcement often is (and cert has been)

3. that to get anyone take action you have to assemble a case,
place  on a silver platter and deliver it to them by fedex

there is no alternative to doing it yourself other than hiring a
professional in incident response (preferably with unblemished
white-hat).

(possibly it's vigilantism, but it works.  look at kevin mitnick as an
example of someone who made enemies unwisely.)

d. please, can we stay away from the metaphors?

a computer is not a house.  a firewall is not barbed wire,
an open port is not an open door, an owned machine is not a
stray and possibly rabid mastiff to be put down humanely
but professionally, etc.

e. this may be the beginning of a long and uninteresting thread,
paritulcarly if we rapidly turn it into a flame war over individuals
and their ethics.